Is it still a THATCamp?

Dom Forum Organizowanie THATCamp Is it still a THATCamp?

• Ten wątek 3 odpowiedzi, 4 głosy, i była ostatnio aktualizowana już przez Amanda French.
Przeglądanie 5 postów - 1 przez 5 (z 5 całkowity)
  • Autor
    Matt Shoemaker
    Uczestnik

2014 will be THATCamp Philly’s 4th year. Jednak, we have been having severe drop offs in attendance and pre-unconference participation the previous two years. We had our suspicions as to why, but surveyed organizers and participants to clarify why they were not coming and it was clear that many of the issues could be tied to fatigue with the unconference format. In order to try and answer these concerns and keep the event going we have decided to mix things up a bit, leaving/stripping unconference bits people liked/disliked while adding in traditional conference parts people appear to be missing.

We’re all fine with trying out this experiment this year, but it raised questions internally about whether or not it can still be branded as a THATCamp, so that is my question to the group. Below are how we are transforming things, so let us know what you think on the whole branding angle. The main concerns are with reduction (not elimination) of the self-organizing and spontaneous aspects. Not all of these changes are something outside of other THATCamps but I wanted to be complete:

-Moving from two day format (Fri/Sat) to one day format (Fri)
    -Introducing a theme for the first time (TBD)
    -Holding structured workshops in tracks throughout the day by pre-determined leaders
    -Holding unconference sessions in simultaneous time slots with the workshops
    -Adding additional networking opportunities during the day separate from sessions and workshops

There are other changes but are more on the detail side. I would like to add that the organizing group is not closed and we always encourage new people to join. With the workshops in particular, jednak, we have had to start planning months in advance and the vast majority of attendees show no interest in working on organizing until they arrive at the event and even then it is iffy. Last year we had a real struggle getting people to propose unconference sessions ahead of time through the THATCamp’s site or the day of.

Those sound like characteristics of plenty of THATCamps that I’ve been too. Certainly there are themed THATCamps (e.g. THATCamp Cyfrowy Pedagogika) and often THATCamps attached to conferences have a de-facto theme (na przykład, THATCamp Mediaeval Congress, I imagine, had a distinctly medieval bent to it!).

Workshops by people with expertise in an area have also become common, jak these at THATCampNE. Different THATCamps have experimented with whether they are held on a single day, distinct from other sessions, or interspersed. Whatever works!

Speaking of single days, yep, there have been 1 day THATCamps, zbyt!

Additional networking time sounds completely in the spirit of THATCamp to me. I’d love to hear back more of what you have in mind, and how it worked, to pass on to other THATCamp organizers.

That’s a fairly long way round to say that, to me, this sounds completely in line with what you agree to when you zarejestrować a new THATCamp:

Tanie lub darmowe do udziału (Opłaty rejestracyjne do $30 USD są w porządku)
    Otwarte dla każdego, kto chce stosować lub zarejestrować (nie ograniczając Rejestracja do członków danej instytucji, stowarzyszenie, organizacja, dyscyplina, lub stopień)
    PUBLIC na otwartym internecie (Sesje mogą być na blogu, ćwierkały, sfotografowany, nagrany, i pisał)
    Samoorganizujących (Program nie komisja: wszyscy uczestnicy wspólnie ustalą program, albo przed, albo podczas unconference)
    Uczestniczącej i spontaniczna (większość sesji są dyskusje grupowe, produktywne sesje robocze współpracy, lub radosne wszelkiego rodzaju współpraca; powinna istnieć kilka jeśli przygotowany, monologuing prezentacje, papiery, lub pokazy z wyjątkiem warsztatów szkoleniowych umiejętności, a nawet warsztaty powinny zazwyczaj pozwalają na praktyczne ćwiczenia przez grupy)

I agree, it sounds like a THATCamp to me! As Patrick notes, the important things are that it is significantly hands-on, public and that the participants have a majority voice in making or altering the agenda.

Amanda French
    Keymaster

Belatedly, Matt, I’d also say that yes, rzeczywiście, it still sounds like a THATCamp to me, and as Patrick noted, as long as you meet the five requirements on the THATCamp Registry page, you can call it a THATCamp.

It might be a good idea to break those five rules out and put them somewhere a bit more prominent — some kind of „Requirements” lub „Is it a THATCamp” strona, maybe …

Matt Shoemaker
    Uczestnik

Thanks all. We figured it was ok but wanted to check since we do think we are bending the 4th and 5th rules.

Przeglądanie 5 postów - 1 przez 5 (z 5 całkowity)
  • Musisz być zalogowany aby odpowiedzieć na ten temat.
RCHN Mellon Mellon